|Rohingya terrorist leader Havistoohar, Taliban-trained.|
1. On the morning of 9th October 2016, armed attackers carried out a surprise attack on Kyikanpyin Border Guard Police (Number One) Headquarters, Kotankauk Police Outpost, and Ngakhuya Local Police Office. As a result of this attack, 9 members of Myanmar Police Force were killed, and 48 weapons of various types and 6624 rounds of assorted ammunitions, 47 bayonets, and 164 magazines were lost. Following the defensive actions of the police, the bodies of 8 attackers were found, and 2 attackers were captured alive. From them, 1 homemade pistol, 2 rounds of ammunitions, and 1 magazine were recovered.
2. The armed attackers, with the weapons and ammunitions they had seized, continued to move around the Maungtaw District and carry out attacks. Tatmadaw infantry units together with Myanmar Police Force have carried out joint combat operations against the attackers. Joint columns of Tatmadaw and police have conducted clearance operations in the areas where the attackers are hiding. During these operations they have had frequently come into armed contact with the attackers. So far, five members of the Tatmadaw have given their lives.
3. According to the initial findings of the interrogations of the two attackers who were captured and two additional attackers whom Bangladesh handed over to Myanmar, the attacks in Maungtaw Township were systematically planned in advance over a long period of time, assisted by foreign funding and the support of members of foreign terrorist organizations.
4. According to the findings of the interrogations, the attacks in Maungtaw were intended to promote extremist violent ideology among the majority Muslims population in the area. Using Maungtaw as a foothold, this was an attempt to take over the areas of Maungtaw and Buthitaung. For this, they received significant financial support from extremist individuals in some Middle Eastern countries. This funding was not provided by particular organizations, but was provided secretly through contacts between individuals.
6. The four main instigators in Middle Ngakhuya village, called Abdul Rahman, Munet, Kapiktulah and Akis, had all attended an RSO training course. Havistoohar, Kalis, Mabuya of Maungnama Village (who led the attack on Kyikanpyin), together with 12 attackers who had come from a refugee camp in Bangladesh, had carried out robberies in villages of Pha Wut Chaung, Ale Than Kyaw and Nga Chaung in Maungtaw Township.
7. According to the findings of the interrogations, Havistoohar and his organization mobilized extremist youths in Maungtaw area. They secretly ran weapons training and self-defence training in remote locations in the hills and forests, as well as in the compound of Abdul Rahman in the Middle Ngakhuya village, and in the forest near Kyauk Pyin Sewik village. Following this plans were drawn up to carry out violent attacks.
9. The Aqa Mul Mujahidin organization deployed tactics often used in violent armed attacks around the world: receiving foreign funding (from those originally from Maungtaw but now in the Middle East); attending terrorists training courses (delivered by the Taliban in Pakistan, and RSO in Bangladesh); and using religion to mobilize extremist youth in Maungtaw. According to their plan, they intended to take over the majority-Muslim areas of Buthitaung and Maungtaw, and to spread propaganda through disseminating video files on the internet and via social networks, in line with the methods of terrorist organizations such as the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and ISIS, in order to attract greater foreign support and funding and encourage the cooperation and participation of domestic and foreign religious extremists.
10. At present, the small armed organization led by Havistoohar is still attempting to carry out continued attacks in the Maungtaw area with a strength of almost 400 extremist armed attackers. Members of the Myanmar Police Force are taking responsibility for security and rule of law, and Tatmadaw military columns have responsibility for clearance operations. The Police and The Tatmadaw are carrying out these responsibilities at full strength. In doing so, they are frequently coming into armed contact with the attackers. At the same time, investigations are continuing into domestic and foreign terrorist links and supporters of terrorism. Further news will continue to be released as it is received, so as to keep the general public informed.
12. We call on our citizens to understand the actions of the government, and to be aware and pay attention to the danger of violent attacks. We call on our citizens to work together with responsible persons to prevent instigation on religious or social grounds within your communities, and to prevent the spread of conflict to other areas. We ask religious and community leaders to make every effort to work together to help to prevent the emergence of conflicts. And we ask our citizens to cooperate with the government for the sake of national security and the defence of the Union.